Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Home for the Holidays

I decided to drive home from Texas to Connecticut for the holidays. Yes, it is many states away, and in the heart of winter, but I wanted to bring my dog home and stay awhile with the family. So I packed up the jeep with diet coke, found a friend to tag along, shiner jumped in, and off we went on an adventure.. and yes we hit the 'storm of the decade'!

I haven't lived in Connecticut since the summer of my sophomore year of college- go JMU. Since then, I have lived in Harrisonburg and Vienna, VA; Fort Myers, FL; and Austin, TX. It's been like 14 years since I've spent an extended time at home due to my workaholicness. Since then I've worked for:
  • Chilis- Server, Cook, Trainer & Corporate Trainer for New Store Openings
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes- Summer Camp Staff & College Staff at JMU
  • Intervarsity Christian Fellowship- College Staff at JMU
  • Mclean Bible Church- College Ministry Staff
  • Leesburg Park & Rec.- Pre-k-3rd grade Sports Instructor
  • The Little Gym- Sports Director, Program Director, New Gym Trainer & Lead Teacher
  • Southside High School- Women's Basketball & Soccer Coach
  • Fort Myers Christian School- K- 8th P.E. Teacher, Athletic Director, Men's and Women's Basketball & Soccer Coach
  • UW Sports Ministry- Head Coach
  • Hill Country Christian School- K- 8th P.E. Teacher
  • Hill Country Bible Church UT- Church Plant Core Team, Student Fellowship Director, Associate College Director, College Director & Connections/ Missional Communities Director
Many places, many jobs, and much time away from my family. I've tried to visit 4-5 times a year since. so that's like 60-70 visits, maybe more.. I have loved my work and have felt very useful in these positions and have seen much fruit of the my labor. Not sure why God has chosen to call me out and use me- a sacrcastic, sports loving, single from New England. But his calling has 'kept' me from my family.. and it's very, very hard on me.

Yes, I know my S.H.A.P.E. and am living in the calling and gifting. I have magic powers, and can connect folks to Jesus, His community and His calling on peoples lives, but the head and heart are heavy some days..

So I drove home, unpacked, and am staying awhile.. Shiner likes the snow. I like have Uconn, Yankees, and NY Giants on every sports show and newspaper in town. I like seeing my family everyday. I babysit, run errands, and just be.. with the family. Don't worry, work is getting done via emails, facebook, texts and calls.

Call it a vacation, a sabbath, a holiday. I call it a disconnect and reconnect. Much needed.

The work will be there when I get back.. It always is. :)